Today’s tip is not referring to Santa’s list. For many on the East Coast, this week is a scary time and they need to be prepared now for a storm predicted to be of epic proportion. Do you have your emergency checklist? Checklists support your preparedness and productivity, and they keep you safe. Now is the time to make your list and check it twice. Please do prioritize your preparedness and safety, if the storm is near you. When you are ready, come back to your career work. Today is our career day, and I’ve posted a sample resume checklist here. You started a resume checklist last week in our webinar, and we checked mine. This week you can check my list twice, as you further develop and work through your own. But, safety first, today and in these upcoming storm days.
A start to your resume checklist:
- Identify your target role and related job ads. Highlight key transferable skills required in job ads, which match your experience. Then, evidence hard and soft skills in your resume.
- Identify core competencies/qualifications and create accomplishment statements that are results-oriented. Include accomplishment statements in your resume vs. responsibility statements.
- Have a second person review your resume to ensure you have strong, well organized content
- Include a powerful summary – 2-4 sentence narrative at the top of your resume which incorporates your objectives. You may also use the 4-6 bullet skills summary with that.
- Make sure all relevant credentials are there, i.e., Education, Certifications, Awards, etc.
- Include any differentiators that reinforce your qualifications and/or separate you from the competition
- Ensure the format is attractive/easy to read, and your resume does not exceed 2 pages
- Cross-check the job ad with your resume content. Ask yourself - do you sound like/look like the candidate they are looking for?
- Cross-check cover letter with job requirements
- Proof read resume and cover letter – ensure there are no typos, misspellings, etc. in either
- Submit the documents in Word, Text, or Pdf as specified
- Double check that your resume information matches your online presence (LinkedIn, Web sites, etc.)